Monday, July 2, 2012

Beading a Necklace on a String of Thoughts...




Well, so much for sleep...at least where last night is concerned. It's a strange thing to have insomnia at a time when I should be exhausted. But then, as I recall, this happened to me once or twice when I did chemotherapy fifteen years ago. I was warned that one of the drugs could "wire" me, but I assumed that would have already come and gone, since it's three days later. Perhaps it is something else keeping me up.

I tossed and turned for as long as I could bear it. I spent part of my evening making jewelry and my mind has been brimming with ideas I want to try, with a backdrop of recordings my mind has made of the past few days. Violet woke up about fifteen minutes ago, crying in her crib. She is now nestled in our bed next to her daddy, as she finishes all of her mornings, these days. I should be with them, but sometimes the flow of this "in-between" world takes me elsewhere.

"In-between": the place in which I seem to reside frequently in my life. Always in a state of change, of seeking, of reaching for the next phase. There have been points of stagnation, but perhaps those were just really times of movement too slow to catch the naked eye, or consciousness. Even as my life is once again "on hold" for cancer treatment, it does not feel like I'm stopping, but traveling, walking "that world", cloaked in a chrysalis, barefoot and bare-headed, taking in the scenery, and making it all part of my being. If only I could accurately describe the view...

As Klaus Thomas, my “Nomi Cat” curls up in a purring ball in my lap, I am reminded of how cats are often said to dwell within those same in-between places. Perhaps that's why I have such an affinity for them. They understand my existence, and I marvel and delight at theirs. Perhaps these are just the sleep deprived ramblings of a first-time mother with second-time cancer. Either way, I don't think that's the important part. I think the important part is that I catch and savor these moments, even the mildly annoying ones. There is something more to learn, here. There are places within that I need to reach outward to.

My computer has just informed me that it's 6am. Maybe I'll have some coffee and get back to that jewelry for a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment