Monday, December 31, 2012

The Year the World Didn't End




Wait. Where did the year go? I remember bits of the beginning. I had a new baby, I was a student, and everything had changed. In January, my milk stopped coming in. I cried a lot over it, at first. Nursing Violet was one of the most amazing things I have ever done, next to carrying her in my body. I really did grieve over losing that. February, March, April went by while I worked at balancing school, and caring for a newborn. Then everything changed, again.

Spring has become such a strange time for me. My brother died in the spring. Finances plummeted the spring after that. And then I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I can't recall the exact date, but it was sometime in May. For the last few years, it seems that catastrophe always strikes when the grass is new, and the trees are covered with blossoms. I've always loved spring, but now it carries a slight sense of dread.

What is so strange about having cancer for the second time, is that I was prepared for it. The treatments have been more drastic, and my body has been permanently altered, but I accept it. Sure, I have stressful days, but that's mainly due to losing income, rather than the illness itself. I can't count how many times I've stated that if cancer and Violet were all I had to worry about, I'd be fine. Fortunately, we've had a lot of help along the way. This year, I have learned a lot about how amazing people can be. Friends, relatives, and even strangers have rallied around my little family, helping us in ways I could not have imagined.



Christmas was amazing! As usual, things were extremely tight, and we weren't sure if we'd be doing much of anything. I really didn't need a lot. All I wanted was a tree, and something for Violet. I did not anticipate that there would be so much more. Without warning, gifts, money, visits and an overwhelming abundance of love came pouring in! We hadn't asked, it just came. Violet was showered with incredible gifts, as were we, and we even had a little for Daryll and I to do something for each other. Humbled is an understatement.

Maybe it makes me weird, but above everything else, I feel lucky. I have been the recipient of so much love, how could I not? Of course I have bad days. Things are tight, and so much will remain uncertain until I can get back into school or work. We'll be okay, though. We'll survive. After all, it's what we do.

In a couple of weeks, radiation ends. Then, all I have to do is heal, build my strength, and prepare for reconstruction. That could be a lengthy process, but the cancer treatment itself, is almost done. It's kind of difficult to wrap my mind around that, just yet. Like everything else, I'll take it as it comes.

It's been crazy, tumultuous, and at times, just beyond any description. Over all, it hasn't been a bad year. I'm alive, I've got the most beautiful daughter in the world (which didn't end), and there are a lot of people who care about me. So really, I can't complain too much.  


No comments:

Post a Comment